Thursday, September 12, 2013

Killing Two Birds or Maybe Even Three with One Stone

It is September and of course (in our house) that means doing our full home school schedule. This year, I decided we would base our schedule off of time spent doing school. We used to do school where when the kids had completed the minimum in each subject, they were done for the day. So they still have their minimum that they need to do for the day but the school day doesn't end until 2:30pm. If they get done early then they pick what they want and work on it till 2:30.
As a mom and teacher, I have some times during the day when I don't have anything to grade, teach or any laundry to switch. I found myself sitting there either harping on one of the kids to pay attention, focus in and do his work. This was not good on the relationship. I decided since it wasn't much time, I'd check email or Facebook. That resulted in being a time waster and taking longer than I had planned. The boys knew they didn't have my full attention so they would start to play and goof off.
This years solution.....Squats, Step ups, and other functional exercises! I can still focus on the kids and make sure they are doing their work all while getting in some extra movement. I also started having the boys do exercises in between each subject so that they are not sitting there for long periods of time. We do bear crawls, crab walks, frog jumps, jumping jacks, squats, push ups, planks and burpees. It has really been nice. The kids have enjoyed it as much as I am.
In the past, I have just felt like I didn't have time for exercising and homeschooling. I am NOT a morning person and by the time I get the kids to bed, I'm too tired. This year we are making it a family priority. It gets easier each year as the youngest gets older. Then I feel like we can do more family exercising.
I have also started doing my own 1 hour routines, in the afternoon. While I am exercising, the boys are doing their chores. So the house is getting clean while I am working out! This has been great! Then I don't feel like I don't have time to exercise because there is too much cleaning to do.
This has been a great solution so far for getting schoolwork, exercise and cleaning in at the same time!
What do you do to get the most out of your time? I'd love to hear what works for you below!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I think I'm going to add in some of those things into my day. I'm good about getting my walk in during the mornings but most days, that's about it. No stretching or any other type of exercise. I really need to figure out how to get more in. This is perfect! A little here and there. Thanks for the post and the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! Glad I could help. It seems as a mom it is always hard to get stuff in especially exercise!

    ReplyDelete