As I have been researching and studying and trying to come up with answers for myself on why I do things the way I do concerning food, I have heard it said that we all have a relationship with food. At first I was kind of perplexed thinking, really!?! It seems so one sided. As I have begun to explore this, I have realized it to be truth. I am beginning to realize it is not one sided at all.
I am an emotional eater, and as such, used to believe that food was my best friend. It would comfort me, rejoice with me and soothe any emotion I had. I felt like it was a friend, who didn't talk back, or hurt me. A friend that was completely accepting. I am learning though, that the foods I would choose to emotionally eat with, are not my friends at all! They are wolves dressed in sheep's clothing! How so? Well they act all nice while I'm eating them and I feel like they are helping the situation but in fact, the actual emotion is only temporarily numbed. Put another way, I am just temporarily distracted from feeling it and then it is back. Also, this horrible food (comfort foods) are making a sneak attack! They say they are healing me emotionally while attacking me physically. I think deep down most of us know this when we emotionally eat, but some how can not seem to break free from this lousy friend we have found in food.
I've also heard it said that our relationship to food is the same as our relationship with all other things. I'll give you some examples from my own life. My relationship with food seems to cycle (I'm working on breaking this btw). I'll eat really healthy then something will through me off track (holidays, visitors, traveling, other people's comments) and so then I will eat very naughtily. This can be for one meal or days or weeks. During this time, I'll start to feel guilty. The guilt will get to me to the point where I can start eating healthy again. It is quite similar to the pride cycle that we see in the scriptures actually. It is kind of this binging and purging cycle, control/out of control cycle...however you would like to name it. So anyway, I have noticed that I do this with spending and saving of money. I do this with organization and cleaning. I will declutter our house amazingly and then go on a mini shopping spree over the next couple of months. My personality is very black and white. I am a perfectionist. Are you seeing the pattern? It is all exactly the same to my relationship with food. I'm either on the wagon or off to put it another way.
So 2 things..1) If we examine our relationship with food, we can better understand, love,and accept ourselves. 2)We can also know how to work on and balance the other areas of our lives as well.
So how do we do this exactly?
Some things that have helped me on my journey have been:
1. Relying on the Lord through Prayer, Scripture Study and Journaling on certain versus.
2. Following a 12 step program for food addiction
3. Keeping a food/mood journal
4. Following Geneen Roth's eating guidelines
5. Eating mostly raw, clean, organic foods.
Part of this process for me is to get outside of myself and help others who are struggling as well. Through my website, www.believeandachievehealth.com , I will be offering a Spiritual Eating Support group as well as (Coming Soon) a Freedom from Food Game for those of you who find healthy competition and earning $ great motivation to help you reach your goals and conquer your battles.
Go ahead...Examine your relationship with food. You'll be amazed at what you learn about yourself!
I'm excited to see you back to the blogging :). This game thing sounds fun. It sounds like you're doing well and learning lots!!
ReplyDeleteThanks. I've been working hard on all of it.
Delete