Friday, November 18, 2016

Traveling Healthy

Are you traveling for the holidays?
I know traveling and trying to eat healthy can be difficult. However, with a little bit of prep and planning it doesn't have to be.  You have some options.

The easiest, I find for me is just to take my food with me. I go with the fastest food on the planet! I pack things like apples, carrots, mandarin oranges, almonds, dates, bananas, kiwi chips, Suja green juices or shakeology powder and some water.

If you don't have space to pack your own food or just don't want to,  here are my tips:

1) Stick with water for liquids. No sense getting extra calories in through your drink. This is good advice anytime.

2) The airports usually have apples and bananas in some of their shops ( although anything you buy at an airport will cost you more. )

3) Now that almost everyone has smartphones, it is easy to google things like juice or smoothie bars.

4) At restaurants, choose salads with dressing on the side. Pick things like baked fish, poultry. Steamed vegetables. It is wise to not even look at the menu but to just ask the server, what vegetables they have on hand and then pick your source of protein you'd like. If you make sure you are getting plenty of fruit and vegetables on your trip it will fill you up and you won't have as much room for the not so healthy items. Some restaurants have healthy options noted on their menu though for your convenience.

5) Make sure you continue to move! We are traveling for Thanksgiving this year. My plan is to do some jumping jacks, squats, and jogging in place at the rest stops and potty breaks. 24 hours in the car can cause constipation so it's good to move as much as you can when your not in the car. I plan to do a pretty intense workout before I leave. I am also taking some workout videos that don't require equipment to do during my trip. You can also just do body weight exercises easily in a hotel room or small space if you don't have access to a gym. Take advantage of all the sight seeing and walking opportunities when you travel. Take the stairs when possible. Park further away and get some walking in.

6) Make sure to let those around you know in advance that you are trying to continue your healthy eating during the trip. Support is crucial to success.

7) Sleep and relaxation are great for digestion and weight loss.  So find time to relax and enjoy your trip.

These are some of my go to favorites when traveling. If you have found additional tips that help you, comment below. I'd love to hear what works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment